Here’s a small selection of my landscape work, shot on a Hasselblad Xpan film camera in panoramic 3:1 mode. From the first time I heard about that camera in the year 2000, I dreamt about using one. It took 10 years to realise that dream & actually get my hands on one!
Film was a format I always chose when out looking for potential new landscape images. After shooting weddings digitally nearly every weekend from March to November, it was a nice change to slow it down and have only 21 pictures per roll of film! And when the film was developed and scanned I had virtually no work to do on the computer!
I’ve been lucky enough to get to travel around with the camera also, not only places like Yosemite and southern Utah in the middle of winter and autumn, but also the Exuma Islands and of course, seeing the absolute best of Sligo – I’ve seen the northern lights from Strandhill, a fog bow going over Queen Maeve’s cairn, a lunar sunrise on the shortest day of the year in minus 10 degree weather, epic sunrises and sunsets over the lakes and ocean, the most amazing tidal flow during a supermoon from the side of Knocknarea and of course had to drive back from Coney Island in the dark! Some of these events I’d never have experienced unless I had this camera with me as it got me out in all sorts of weather!
As of 2021 I’m now shooting on a medium format Fuji digital camera which also shoots in the panoramic mode. This is also allowing me to shoot panoramic portraits during engagement shoots and weddings! More on that here – panoramic portraits.
For a larger selection of my landscape work, see here – SligoPhotographer.com
– On Highway 163 outside Monument Valley, Utah
– In Yosemite Valley, California
– Mesa Arch, Canyonlands, Utah
– Green River Overlook, Canyonlands, Utah
– Ballintrillick, Sligo
– Hoopers Bay, Exuma, Bahamas
– El Capitan, Yosemite, California
– Yosemite Valley, California
– Half Dome at Sunset, Yosemite, California
– Half Dome and avalanche, Yosemite, California
– Lone Cypress, Carmel-by-the-sea, California
– Badwater, Death Valley, California
– Rosses Point from Coney Island, Sligo
– Tunnel View, Yosemite, California
– Half Dome from Glacier Point, Yosemite, California
– Strandhill, Sligo
– Surfer, Strandhill, Sligo
– Ballisodare Bay, Sligo